Best Price Guaranteed.
What even more enriches a stay in Marciana Marina are its surroundings that deserve something more than a rushed visit.
Poggio e Marciana, for example, two ancient villages perched next to each other, can be reached through the road that climbs steeply towards Mount Capanne among pine, chestnut and holm oak woods. From here the look can range over a broader horizon, capturing the capricious contours of the coast, and the sparkling expanse of the sea in front of which emerge the small island of Capraia, and with a little luck, Gorgona.
In Poggio time seems to have stopped. Among its alleys, paved streets and flowered balconies, life flows slowly, marked by the tolling of the bells belonging to the two ancient churches of San Nicolò and San Lorenzo, this Romanesque church was destroyed by the Turks in 1554. Today it is a national monument.
Not far from the woods of chestnut and holm oaks, is the well-known source of Napoleon springs.
Located in the hills at an altitude of 375 meters above sea level, Marciana is one of the oldest and richest towns in historical and archaeological sites, its origins date back to 35 BC.
Under the dominion of the Appiani, who chose it as a residence, it undertook a major development starting from the construction of the island’s most protected fortress to defend the foundry and the mint.
But the whole town still retains that medieval imprint of the past, from the gateways, to the narrow alleys with steps, adorned with plants and flowers that the Marcians grow on their balconies.
Of particular historical interest is the Archaeological Museum, rich in important finds from the prehistory and protohistory of the Island of Elba. The museum is open from mid-April to mid-October and it is very interesting to see the numerous findings dating back to Etruscan and Roman times.